Friday, February 17, 2012

The Week Before You Were Born!

I started keeping a journal the week before you were born, Eli. I know I should have kept the journal all along but I never found the time to sit down and blog or write anything down!

So, here goes! The Monday before you arrived (January 9, 2012) I went to work. I worked right up until you were born! I had a really good pregnancy and was not having any complications, so I worked until a few days before you were born! So, that Monday, I worked all day. I already had in my mind that you were going to be stubborn and come after the due date because I wasn't having any signs of labor at all! No strong contractions and none of the other signs of labor that I read about were present. Then Tuesday came, (January 10, 2012), I got up and got ready for work like normal. But, I wasn't feeling like my usual self. But I went on and got ready and ate breakfast and packed my lunch. I was cramping and having some mild contractions, but as the Dr. would say, "nothing to get excited about!" I walked up to my car in the garage and got in and drove down the ramp in the garage and turned around and drove right back up to my parking spot. I called my boss and told her that I wasn't feeling good and that I was having some contractions. I told her it could be something going on, or it could be nothing! So I stayed home and monitored everything. I had a Doctor appointment that next day so I just laid around on Tuesday!! Wednesday, I went to work and worked until I had to leave for my Doctor's appointment. I told the girls at work that I would call and let them know what was going on after I got done!

So, off to the Dr. we go! I came home first and got Paul! Once we got there, I did my usual, went to to bathroom so they could get a urine sample. Once I did that it was time for my vitals to be checked. First the weight (lovely), then the blood pressure, which was a little high (146/98). After my vitals were checked, Paul and I went in to be seen by the Doctor! Dr. Linder came in the room and the first thing he said was, "Have we scheduled you yet?" I shook my head, "No!" He said that he was going to check me and then get me scheduled to have a baby! He said the reason he wanted to go on and get me scheduled was because of my blood pressure. He said he didn't like women to go to far past their due date with high blood pressure. Now keep this in mind, my due date was January 14 (that Saturday) and I have had NO problems at all with my blood pressure this whole entire pregnancy! He said while he was checking my cervix to see how much I was dilated that either a woman is able to be induced or not. After he checked me, he said at this point I was unable to be induced but there was medicine that could help me along. I just had to start the process the day before I would have the baby. So I got dressed and he asked me when I wanted to have the baby. I said, "ASAP!!!" Then reality started settling in and Paul and I looked at each other and said, "This is really happening, no turning back!!!" Dr. Linder went out of the room and said that he would have his nurse call the hospital to get me scheduled. He wanted me to originally go in that night, which would have meant that we would be having a baby on Thursday. Lucky for me there were no rooms on the L & D floor so I wasn't going to be able to go in until Thursday and have a baby on Friday! So it was settled, we were to check in on Thursday (January 12, 2012) and my water would be broken on Friday morning (January 13, 2012) and hopefully a baby would be born that day!

So I called work to let them know I would be induced and wouldn't be returning to work until after I had the baby! Paul and I went home and scrambled and made a few phone calls to let everyone know what was going on. Then we got everything put together and packed up and in the car.

On Thursday, Paul and I ran some last minute errands and made sure we had everything together for the hospital! I had to check in at 7:00pm so we left Norfolk and headed to Chesapeake Regional Hospital to let the fun begin!

Upon check-in, I had to change into the lovely hospital gown (I'm very modest so I wasn't looking forward to this gown with nothing on underneath at all) and get preped with some IV's. Once I got situated in the room, the nurse had to start the process of ripening my cervix. A pill had to be inserted behind my cervix every 4 hours until 7:00am the following morning. So every 4 hours she came in and insertec the pill and I was good to go. Now, I had not much sleep because for 2 of the 4 hours I had to lay flat with no movement so the pill could run its course and ripen my cervix so I my water could be broken the next morning....

No comments:

Post a Comment